This Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples recipe is an easy, impressive side dish that’s the perfect pairing for a holiday meal or an easy weeknight dinner.
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables – they’re great wrapped with bacon as a party snack, perfect for salads, and always make a delicious side dish. These flavorful Brussels are so easy to prepare, and are always a big hit.
Brussels sprouts are a fall staple, and this recipe gives them a little extra pizzaz with the addition of apples and bacon.
Brussels sprouts are one of those veggies that people either love or hate. But, this version is one that you’re most likely to love! Steamed and then tossed with apples and bacon for a tasty, nutritious side dish.
What’s So Great About Brussels Sprouts?
If you like cabbage then you will definitely like Brussels sprouts. I mean, technically speaking they really do look just like little mini-cabbages and they are from the same family. They have a nutty, savory flavor and when cooked well, they have a nice al dente bite on the outside and are tender on the inside. Call me veggie-crazy, but I honestly believe that if you have well cooked and seasoned Brussels sprouts you can’t not like them, they’re just too good!
Not only are Brussels sprouts super delicious, but they are also a nutritional powerhouse! They have tons of antioxidants and are a great source of vitamin K, vitamin C, folate and manganese. They’re also packed with fiber, so go ahead and enjoy this side dish. Your body will thank you!
How To Make Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apples:
This recipe comes together very quickly. Start the bacon cooking in the microwave and while that’s cooking, you can get the onion sautéing and the Brussels steaming. Toss the apples in with the onion once the onion has softened. When everything is done cooking, toss it all together and enjoy this flavorful warm side dish recipe.
The joining of the Brussels sprouts with a nice, tart, crunchy apple and some crispy, salty bacon is beyond delicious. I’ve seen this combination a thousand times but have never tried it on my own. And I now know why I have seen this flavor combo so often… it’s because it’s really good! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised… we’ve got Brussels sprouts, apples, and bacon… hello… what’s not to like?
Tips For Making Brussels Sprouts with Bacon:
- If possible, use Brussels sprouts that are close to the same size. This will ensure even cooking. I really like to purchase smaller sprouts when I can find them. They seem to be more tender.
- In this recipe all of the ingredients can be cooking at one time, so before starting, prep all ingredients and have them ready to go.
- The bacon adds a crunchy texture and salty flavor to this dish that could be easily duplicated using pancetta, prosciutto, or even turkey bacon… so feel free to use which ever floats your boat. You only need a little bit for this recipe, so you may as well choose something that you really enjoy. If you are vegan, try swapping in some chopped green olives or capers.
This recipe is such a tasty way to prepare Brussels sprouts that are full of flavor. The sweetness of the apple and saltiness in the bacon tastes so good with tender, freshly cooked Brussels sprouts. Brussels Sprouts W/ Apples And Bacon is great for holidays and dinner parties, but it’s easy enough to make any time of the year.
We love this served with chicken, pork and even salmon! OR if you wanted to get your legumes in, I think it would also pair well with some lentils. AND if you wanted to keep things really easy, just go ahead and top it with an over easy egg… that would be really good!
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes To Try:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Grapes
- Beet Salad with Arugula and Walnuts
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Festive Kale Salad
I’d love to know if you make this (or any) recipe! Tag @clean_and_delicious on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy, delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Brussels Sprouts W/ Apples And Bacon
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 4 slices organic bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 medium tart apples diced (either Pink Ladies or Granny Smith)
- 1 tbsp organic butter
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley dill would also be great here!
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place bacon on a microwave safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Cook bacon for four minutes or until your bacon is nice and crispy.
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan and cook onion along with a pinch of salt.
- While the onion is cooking place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket and steam for eight to ten minutes or until they are nice and tender.
- Once your onions are translucent, toss in your apples and cook for another four to five minutes. You are looking for your apples to get nice brown edges and to become just slightly tender.
- Once the apples and the onions are ready to go, toss in the Brussels sprouts and season with some salt and pepper. Crumble your bacon over the Brussels sprouts and toss with your parsley. Adjust your seasoning and enjoy!!
- Makes 4 servings.